Welcome to HakataRiverain
Opened in April 1999, Hakata Riverain is Fukuoka's most sophisticated multi-function complex to date. Its light-filled modern buildings comprise a clever selection of fine shops, dining, culture, offices and a luxury hotel. Outside, elegant European-style boulevards sweep to the banks of the adjacent Naka River and the nearby charming Kawabata area. Once the commercial center of Fukuoka's old town, Hakata, this area has undergone a renaissance lately with a spate of public art projects and new shop openings.
- HAKATA RIVERAIN MALL
- One of Hakata Riverain's prime attractions is HAKATA RIVERAIN MALL. Over 70 shops representing the world's finest designer names make this seven-floor shopping arcade a literal shopper's paradise.
- Fukuoka Asian Art Museum
- Hakata Riverain has no shortage of cultural content. On the complex's upper floors is Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, the world's first full-scale museum to specialize in modern and contemporary Asian art. Frequent exhibitions are held of works from the museum's impressive collection, and of works loaned from top collections the world over. Other activities including art workshops, lectures, film screenings, performances, collaborations with local artists and so on make the museum as enjoyable as it is educational.
- Hakata-Za Theater
- Another jewel in Hakata Riverain's crown is the 1,500-capacity Hakata-Za Theater, its sleek exterior accented simply with two giant Japanese lanterns. Hakata-Za blends the ultra-modern with the traditional, boasting the latest sound and lighting, a revolving stage, traditional orchestra pit and the all-important Hanamichi, or elevated wooden walkway for Kabuki performances. Concerts and musicals are also held here regularly. Each spring, all eyes turn to Hakata-Za as the country's top Kabuki actors make their grand entrance from an elaborate canal boat procession along the Naka River.
- From world class shops to the pleasant vistas of Water Front Plaza and dining and cultural facilities, and the luxurious elegance of Hotel Okura Fukuoka... it's all here at Hakata Riverain. Located a short walk or ride from all major shopping and transport cores in Fukuoka, Hakata Riverain is the perfect inner city oasis.
Links to related sites
- 3-1 Simokawabata-machi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka
- (092) 282-1300
- Subway Access
- Located immediately above the Nakasu Kawabata Subway Station, four stops from Fukuoka International Airport, two stops from Hakata Station, and just one stop from Tenjin (Fukuoka) Station.
- Car Parking
- Convenient parking is available 24 hours/day beneath the complex. Capacity 950 vehicles.